Over the past couple years, I’ve been asked a myriad variations of the same question: “How did you DO it?”
“It” being, “build a profitable business / create your dream lifestyle / become a professional writer / have such awesome hair.”
The truth? “It” takes talent + devotion — but it’s not rocket science, people. (Not that I know much about rockets. Although I used to fly helicopters … but I digress.)
Whatever your dream is — a sassy side business, a creatively-drenched career at a hot-cha-cha company, a beloved blog that you run from a treehouse in Bali, international speaking engagements, a luxury fragrance line – this is my final-ish word on the subject.
Do this stuff. In (mostly) this order.
With as much nerve + originality as you can muster.
1. BE VISIBLE. Get a website up ‘n running. It doesn’t have to be a work of art. It doesn’t have to be fancy-dancy. All it has to do is tell the world three things: Who you are + who you serve + why you’re called to do this work.
2. DO THE WORK. You want to be a writer? Start writing. You want to be a coach? Start coaching. You want to run a mobile luxury cupcake van? Start baking. Hone your chops. Build your muscles. Let it be playful + exploratory. The world is your laboratory.
3. UP THE ANTE. Revamp your website. Revamp your wardrobe. Revamp your diet, your sleep, your moisturizing routine. Start a blog, photo-diary, open-mic night or some form of public self-expression that feels inspiring.
4. THROW A PARTY! Hello, we’re talking about your DREAMS COMING TRUE! Your PURPOSE MADE MANIFEST! It’s magnificent!
Tell your inner circle about the grand adventure you’ve begun + invite them to celebrate with you. (They will — with gusto.)
5. POP INTO VIEW. Figure out where the people you want to play with are (already) hanging out. Make a list of all the clubs, yoga studios, blogs + magazines, anarchist potlucks, coffee shops, live events — and plug yourself into those communities.
6. BE BRAVE. Reach out to a mentor you’ve been ogling, for ages. Pitch a ballsy project to someone you’ve been aching to work with. Play with contemporaries at your level + higher. Open yourself up to rejection. Be vulnerable. Give yourself shivers.
7. DO THE WORK x INFINITY. With visible devotion — daily. Be consistent. Keep it simple. Under-promise + over-deliver.
Make good art. People will talk about you, and send attention + energy (and money) your way. I promise, I promise, I promise.
Your dream is delightfully do-able.
No rocket science, brain surgery or string theory required.